Wednesday, August 1, 2007

What do YOU think about?

As these runs get longer and longer, we find ourselves having discussions about what exactly is going through our heads as we run for hours on end (2 1/4 hrs this Saturday, to be exact).

Most of the time, we just zone out, and think about running and motivating ourselves to keep going, and to keep going fast. Sarah says that beyond commenting on the scenery, thinking makes her slow down (of course, Sarah did just complete a 5K run maintaining 6ish-minute miles, so slowing down for her isn't exactly dropping down to a walk).

Pam spends a lot of the long run talking w/Megan (her favorite pace partner). She says they don't really talk about anything important, mostly the run, but they did have a nice discussion about bridesmaid dresses on a downhill a few weeks ago. She's also been suggesting lately that maybe figuring out brain teasers or reciting the Fibonacci sequence might be a good time-waster.

Other random thoughts we've heard:

One of the ladies we're running with, Cindy, tells us that her daughter, a water polo player, doesn't think during workouts. She swears she falls asleep while swimming laps.

Mindy Kaling (Kelly from The Office) says on her blog that she imagines her mom has been kidnapped, and the only way she can save her is if she runs fast enough. (This kind of reminds Pam of her old softball batting technique- imagining that the ball is her brother's head- but maybe it's a little different...)

What do you guys think about when you run? Write us comments and tell us!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tend to think about whatever I was thinking about previously. After a while, I get pretty delirious, and starting singing Christmas carols in my head. Not sure why.

Anonymous said...

you guys are nuts...all of this training and hardcore-ness..but it's very cool--for a good cause and admirable..not to mention you'll be in sick shape. good luck!

<3 yay nonverbal coding!!


(k)

Anonymous said...

Either

"Wow that's the largest and fastest wall of molten lava I've ever seen!"

or

"Why isn't that jerk holding the elevator for me? I mean, sure he could be in rush or something but still... 30 seconds isn't going to make or break his schedule. I bet if I were an attractive woman he would hold the elevator. Little does he know I'm an excellent elevator conversationalist. He's going to miss out on my impeccable delivery of 'How about that rain last night?'. Those mail-order Elevator Conversation Skills tapes really payed off. Did I remember to send in the rebate? Wait... did it rain last night, or was that the night before? I think it sprinkled last night, but it really poured the night before. I think I left my umbrella at home today. I really hate getting wet. Especially when your socks get wet, thats the worst. Squishy socks... Ick! Oh cool, he is holding the door. Sweet!"

Sometimes both :)

Anonymous said...

I don't work out, so I guess that means I don't think about anything. Ever. I'm kinda Zen.

waukinslo said...

for the 1st two minutes I think about why I should stop running and take up some other exercise, the next 5-10 minutes, it's all about remembering to breathe, the next 10 minutes is how may mosquitos can I slap and not lose my pace, after that it's Wow! I may actually live through this, then the endorphins kick in and everythings fine.....

Anonymous said...

I think about how I'm feeling compared with other runs, think about my day coming up--I'm a morning runner.

I compose my posts in my head while I'm running, and then I try to figure out how I'm going to get everything done!